Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Becoming a writer

So, I wear several hats, and one of them is apparently a writer. I spent the past weekend with my favorite and closest immediate family, the Butlers, Rathje's and Crowes, (sorry Sid not sure if it ends with an "e" or not. ) The great thing about family is that you are allowed to be completely you, and they understand cause that is who you are. Well, Tayah has taken a job with University of Oregon and I think she may have just locked into her thing. The occasion that took me down to Eugene was Maggies, my 4 year old niece, to only grand child of the Butler Rathje lineage, but Loren and Brandon will soon put an end to Maggie's Monopoly of the Grandparent Attention, well not just grands, but everyone's. Eugene is about a 3 and half hour drive from my place which is about 15 minutes south of actual tacoma, so when I am driving back I always get back sooner then expected cause the signs only give the distant to downtown Tacoma, and not to Parkland. We are too little to warrant a place on the sign into town. I love my West coast family and it is nice to have them within driving distance, they are also very accomendating of my girls, Roxy and Karma, who have for all thier trouble when we first began our relationships have learned to work with me. Roxy a content Austrailian cattle dog, has gone from a Tasmanian devil to a steward of the house hold, her ability to walk without a leash and stay where I tell her when I go into work astounds me on a daily basis. Karma, is for all intents and purposed a direct translation of her name, reminding me everyday the world is not perfect and that the balance between good and bad is only keep in check by addressing both. I have totally forgotten what I originally set out to state in this blog, but I am sure it will come to me again much more profound that it did this evening sipping away on my 4th shot of tequilla, dreaming of the beautiful moment I had with all the people I loved over the last 32 years of my life.
Thank you.
Nick (buzzed)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I heard you saying you were surprised by a realization of how short the drive feels for the perceived quality of relationships you have in Eugene. Its a great thing when you can just be "you" with people you are actually related to. Not many people get such good karma.
It sounds like you'll pack up the girls and make the drive more often. Happiness all around!