Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blue Pencil

I wanted to do this page all digital, but last night I had an analog relapse. I often return to pencil and paper because of the dexterity and control that I have with it. Currently I am using a Wacom Bamboo for my pen input. The Bamboo has multi-touch and a pressure sensitive pen, but unlike pencil and paper you are drawing on the table top and the image appears on the screen. With pencil and paper there is a direct connection, which you don't get with the Wacom. I have been searching for solutions to this disconnect since I began drawing on the computer. When I began my current job I was issued an HP Tablet PC and I was sure that this was the solution to my drawing problems, but quickly realized it was to bulky and hot to spend hours on it drawing. The announcement of the iPad re-invigorated my hopes for a useful digital drawing tool. Soon I realized that once I put stuff in the iPad it was a challenge to get it back. My biggest issue with digital illustration tools is the feel. The tactile nature of pencil lead and paper is familiar and intuitive. I know digital input devices are competing more and more with traditional pencil, but when I am in a crunch I will always go back to my old friends to figure it out.

2 comments:

Stan Shaw said...

I admit a crazy love for the look of blue pencil lines.
It makes no sense, just looks really cool. I have a piece of bristol board taped over my Wacom tablet. Even my travel set up works better with plain paper over the tablet surface. There might be some kind of clear film for iPad that would give the same feel. But then, most stylus are kind of thick blunt nosed anyway.

Adam M Botsford said...

I share Stan's affection for blue lines. Non-photo blue pencils seem to give drawings a life that digital ink do not. The transition to the stylus and pad has been tough for me as well. I'm using a Wacom Intuos and though it's a brilliant tool it doesn't have the feel of graphite on paper.