Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Broken Project

The Broken Project began with a sketch, and exploded into a story journey. During my time in LA I doodled a cutesy Bunny and Cat couple walking out of the mall holding hands. Well at the time I thought it was cute and that the people at Nickolodeon and Cartoon Network would be excited about my characters and give me a job. It didn't lead to a job, but it did give me some much needed enlightenment and humility. So I shelved them until I came to Tacoma, and began working at PLU. Where I was introduced to Blender, an Open Source 3D modelling and animation software. Well it had everything that Maya, Softimage and 3Ds Max, so I installed it and decided to make something. Thus began my spiral into the depths of blender tutorials. I learned to rig character, texture paint, animate, and even camera map. It is the effect I used to achieve the push-in effect in the image above. I spent a total of 4 weeks working on it, and when I stepped back from th work it looked lifeless. So I set out to give life to these two characters and thus was born, Kat and Bunnie, Riot Grrrrls. It has since evolved into a comic book which I am using to develop the story before moving into animation again. The plan is to revisit the Broken Project by continuing to post web comics to flesh out the story. You can see these at turtledustmedia.com.

1 comment:

Shawn Foote said...

I always love your work. Glad to see you using open source stuff too. Awesome image and I love the comic book. Can't wait to see more!