Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Comic Coloring Process

I did not realize the price difference when I made the decision to make the Head Trip a color book I now understand why so many independent comic projects are black and white. I am minimalist so finding ways of reducing the amount of work that goes into generating high quality comics has been a challenge. To figure out what the look and feel would be for the book I started with the digital coloring technique of current professional comics. Modern technologoy has given the comic industry an endless range of color. Not only do professional comics get amazing colors, but a number effects can be applied to comics giving them a fidelity that starts to reach the image quality we are familiar with seeing on the big screen. I don't have a preference on coloring style, but I also don't like to spend months working on a single page. Comic for companies like Marvel and DC are produced by a team which includes, writer, penciler, inker, colorist and editor. Indie comic publishers are required to fill all these roles like Sunday comic cartoonists. It was the Sunday cartoonist who influenced my work the most namely the work of Bill Watterson the creator of Calvin and Hobbes. The three color print process limited what the artist could do, and so the artist found creative ways to creatively use this limited palette. Limiting the palette cuts down the amount of choices I have to make, and helps me to maintain simple lighting and shading techniques. I bounce between painting on my iPad or coloring in Photoshop with the Wacom tablet. Digital is great, but I am starting to find traditional techniques much master and easier to accomplish. I am waiting for the day when the gap between digital and traditional techniques closes, they are getting there.

1 comment:

Micah Fegley said...

First of all, and most importantly, great work. I like the style and also the "coloring outside the lines" on the edge. Can't wait to see more.

Also, I couldn't agree more about the gap in tech, but I've found that I'm so deep in to computer work, my traditional skills are beyond rusty. I was always great at drawing and painting, but now I rely too heavily on "cmd-z', "cmd-c" and "cmd-v"! I will admit, I've found myself wishing for those even when I doodle animation ideas! We're talking stick figure poses! So sad. I love my Wacom because it's so close to the real thing, but it also spoils me with "Oops, didn't mean to do that... undo."

The other thing you hit on, which I'm also experiencing, is indie creators wearing several if not all the hats. Sometimes I wonder if it helps or hinders, but in the end, I wouldn't change it. It take 18 times longer to finish something, but I feel like I learn more about my abilities, my project and love it even more in the end.

Thanks for sharing!